Sunday, October 14, 2007

Human connections and more acculturation ...

Last week and this weekend, I had the chance to catch up with some friends (Walter, Sylvio, Diane, Clay and Chris) back in Seattle and it was great to reconnect with them! I love having those deep conversations with you guys (Chris and Clay) !


I also had the chance to talk with the person who has been my mentor the longest in Seattle. As usual his advices and wisdom have really helped me to see more clearly and feeling better about what direction to take (transferring or not to a different University) as well as prioritizing my studies. He is the reason why I got a master in social work when I first arrived in Seattle in 98. He has been my boss, professor and mentor since 1998 and has been and continues to be an amazing support in my professional and academic life. His encouragements helped me to have faith in applying to a PhD program. I feel grateful to have such a wonderful connection with him! Thank you Jon!!


This shift in my life, doing a PhD in Montreal, is huge and sometimes I have this brief realization of how overwhelming it is ... I can only let myself be in that state for a brief moment otherwise sadness and anxiety may paralyze me and I could not accomplish the demands of my life as a student. It's hard to not feel overwhelmed and anxious when everything is so new, uncertain and when the ones who know you the best and believe in you are so far away. I guess it has been exactly 2 months since I arrived in Montreal and I'm hitting another phase of my acculturation process .... It will pass and I'll find the strength to move forward with a positive and strong attitude.


3 comments:

John said...

Next time we have a party at Walaka's house, we should get the laptop set up with the webcam... you could be a virtual "fly on the wall". I don't know if the room conversation would come through clearly... or would be all muddled, but it might be fun to try.

Sachet said...

Sounds like a fun idea !!

heather said...

So wonderful to have found you again...i will follow your blog as you follow your path and have faith in yourself as you a strong and amazing woman...

and in terms of making new strange new places home. you've done that before and can do it again. Remember, you have friends supporting you - and come visit me in Grenada whenever you like!!!
I would so love to see you.