Friday, August 31, 2007

Back to school... weird....!!

McGill University
University of Montreal

My PhD program is a joint program with those two Universities, therefore I will be taking classes on both campuses.

Such a weird feeling to going back to school. Looking at the other students on campus I feel so much older, and I am indeed! It crossed my mind if I had made the right choice but quickly I realized that yes I did. My professional life was no longer stimulating enough for me and I needed a major shift to be inspired again. I think what I’m experiencing is feeling out of marks at all levels, which gives me a sense of vulnerability and uncertainty.

Yesterday, I met for a long time with my thesis advisor and she offered me a job starting next week. I'll be working for her research team that focuses on mental health and culture. At first, it seems that the job will be more administrative than research focused but I feel grateful and very excited to have a job! My advisor seems very nice and willing to assist me in any way she can, which is a wonderful feeling as a new student and new comer in Montreal. We discussed the language in which I will write my thesis in. I was surprised to witness the intense emotional reaction I had about the possibility of writing in French. It seems that I have a very difficult time to let go of my "English life". I was determined to write in English for publication purposes but also in case I would return to the states. As she advised me if I end up staying here it would be preferable to write in French. She also mentioned that this time would be maybe the last opportunity to reconnect to such extent with my mother tongue and practise again writing in French. I have some time to decide so there is no urgency. Hopefully, taking few classes in both languages will help me in a few months make up my mind.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So great to hear your stories! I completely understand about the starting back to school. Man, isn't it just crazy??!! I too am trying to get into the academic mix here in Louisiana. Wonderfully homey, scary to be thinking again, and exciting to be starting a new life. Let's visit! bisous

Walaka said...

"Gee, should I write my dissertation in English or in French?" Sigh. I wish that was a problem facing me!

I known that it is a big decision, so I wish you luck with it, and the new job, and everything else!

John said...

Hopefully the other PhD students will be a bit older too. I remember that being the case at UW.

Sachet said...

Thanks to Walter's help and the picture he sent me that was the only picture that I could use so far. Will try to find one with a closer shot.

Sachet said...

Hey Julia! Can't wait to catch up and exchange our experience being a student again!