Saturday, September 8, 2007

Left to tell

Today I spent the day reading "Left To Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust". This book is the most powerful book I ever read. I could not put it down, it was so captivating and moving. As some of you may already know my thesis topic is on "Rwanda: Construction of Meaning and Resilience Factors amongst its Survivors". This book definitely helped me to dive into the core of my topic.

Summary of the book from http://www.lefttotell.com/book/index.php
Immaculée shares her miraculous story of how she survived during the Rwanda genocide in 1994 when she and seven other women huddled silently together in the cramped bathroom of a local pastor’s house for 91 days! In this captivating and inspiring book, Immaculée shows us how to embrace the power of prayer, forge a profound and lasting relationship with God, and discover the importance of forgiveness and the meaning of truly unconditional love and understanding—through our darkest hours.

After being disconnected from my topic since I finished writing my thesis proposal back in January, this book allowed me to be in touch again with this poignant subject. I feel more than ever inspired and compelled to start this awaiting journey.

A tremendous THANK YOU to Salomé who gave me this book as a going away present.

No comments: